Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Observations about Shows: Specific & Otherwise

Last night I saw Steel Train and The Starting Line, and I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Like, omgzz, such a fun show. While waiting between sets and the two bands I didn’t like (Four Year Strong & Bayside), I began to formulate this blog in my head. So, here goes:

The Good:
--Jack Antonoff (of
Steel Train) is the best guitarist I’ve ever encountered. His fingers moved so fast across the strings, they became a blur of color.

--Antonoff is a spaz on stage. He convulses every part of his body, including his hair. And I love it.

--Last night, Antonoff wore a red sweatshirt. With a COW on it. HE’S MY NEW BEST FRIEND.

--Hands down, the guys of Steel train are nicest band dudes I’ve ever met. After their set, I went to the merch table where Jack and Merch Guy (don’t know his name) were, and I told him that I love their set and how much I loved their ablum. He shook my hand and gave me hug. Everytime he saw me after that, he rubbed my arm. Then, later on I went up to Evan and told him that they did a great job. He gave me a hug as well. I told him I thought I was the only one who knew their songs, and he said I was--he saw me in the audience. Like Jack, he rubbed my arm everytime he walked past me.

--Evan said they’re coming back next month. I can’t wait. If you get a chance, go and see them. You will not regert it.

--THE STARTING LINE. Yep, that’s all for this observation.

--The Starting Line played two of the songs I was really hoping they’d play: A Goonight’s Sleep and Surprise, Surprise. Definitely two of my top five favorite songs from them.

--I love when you see all the band members leave the stage except for the singer because that means you’re in for an acoustic treat. And it for sure happened last night. Kenny played The Drama Summer. It was magical.

--I loved how when I looked around the crowd last night and almost everyone knew every song he played. It was as if I and the crowd had formed a special bond; singing all the words and swinging our bodies to the beat.

--Kenny showed the crowd his nipples.

--Kenny can’t dance. And I love him for it. All his moves made me giggle.

--Favorite in-between-song banter quote from Kenny: I’m not going to make a gay speech, but I’m going to miss you guys.

--Encore song? Best of Me :)
The Bad:
--Girls who seemingly only go to shows in hopes of fucking merch guys/tech guys/etc. There’s one in particular who was at the show who I’m not too fond of; however, I’m not going to talk shit on here about her.

--I know it’s ridiculous for me to say it, but I hate that there were people who came to see The Starting Line and were only familiar with Based on a True Story and/or Direction.

--Kenny is really really cocky.

That’s all for now--I’m sure I’ll be adding on to it, though.

No comments: